The Binghamton Metropolitan Transportation Study (BMTS) is seeking a transportation analyst. BMTS is the federally-required Metropolitan Planning Organization for Broome and Tioga County. This position involves collecting and analyzing transportation and land use data. This position is also responsible for the analysis of traffic operations for existing and proposed roads, streets, and highways. This position may assist in the development, modification, maintenance and operation of the Binghamton Regional Travel Model, a computer-based travel demand model and for the maintenance and application of a Geographic Information System (GIS). This is a Civil Service tested position.
Typical work activities:
- Conduct short-range traffic studies involving the review of traffic capacity and safety measures.
- Analyzes accident statistics and recommends remedial measures;
- Analyzes data to find means to improve transportation safety and minimize environmental impact;
- Prepares traffic or usage estimates for proposed projects;
- Prepares preliminary technical material in support of long and short-range transportation plan development;
- Assists in the development, calibration, and operation of the BMTS Regional Travel Model, a computer-based travel demand model;
- Develops, maintains and utilizes transportation applications for Geographic Information
- Systems to store, manipulate and analyze data;
- Uses GIS and travel demand software to produce travel forecasts for use in the development of transportation plans, study development activities and land use planning activities;
- Prepares various reports and correspondence relative to GIS;
- Designs, creates and/or updates a variety of maps;
Required skills and abilities:
- Good knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques related to developing, maintaining and operating a GIS;
- Working knowledge of the principles and techniques used in transportation planning;
- Good knowledge of techniques used to gather data for statistical analysis and reports;
- Working knowledge of standard GIS and travel demand modeling software;
- Working knowledge of the practices and techniques of developing and maintaining databases;
- Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize software programs including word processing, spreadsheets and databases;
- Ability to analyze and organize data, draw conclusions and use data to prepare records and reports;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Master's Degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, urban planning, geography or closely related field; OR
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, geography, economics, statistics, urban planning, or closely related field and one year of experience in transportation planning which shall have involved the use of Geographic Information System software (GIS); OR
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of A) and B) above.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT: Possession of the appropriate level Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
PLEASE SEND A BROOME COUNTY EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION AND RESUME TO:
Jennifer Yonkoski, Director Binghamton Metropolitan Transportation Study 60 Hawley Street, PO Box 1766
Edwin L Crawford Bldg., 5th Floor Binghamton, NY 13902