The City of Albany’s Department of Planning and Development is an interdisciplinary office of professionals that apply progressive urban planning practices to preserve and protect neighborhoods, manage and promote adaptive land use, and guide sustainable growth in our community. The Department is seeking an intern to assist Planners in project management, review, regulatory and public noticing compliance, and the administration of the Historic Resources Commission (HRC), Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) and Planning Board (PB).
This internship offers experience in a variety of city planning tasks and provides individuals an opportunity to become familiar with local government. Responsibilities include:
- Draft and edit agendas, presentations and decisions for HRC, BZA and PB workshops and meetings
- Assist planners with development reviews and project management
- Attend project meetings and provide accurate meeting minutes
- Perform zoning and land use research, provide analysis and findings
- State Environmental Quality Review
- Data entry
- Students currently involved in graduate coursework related to urban and regional planning
- Strong research and data analysis skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to work independently under general supervision
This internship will begin in September and conclude mid-December with the possibility of an extension. Successful applicants are expected to complete a minimum of 20 hours per week and will receive a stipend of $500 per month. The position will be located at the Planning Office at 200 Henry Johnson Boulevard.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter in PDF format by 5 PM on Friday, August 24th to Yasmine Robinson, Principal Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org.