The Town of Guilderland is accepting letters of interest and resumes from candidates interested in applying for the position of Town Planner. Competitive salary depending on qualifications and experience along with excellent benefits. This is a provisional appointment subject to civil service testing.
This is an advanced level position which involves specialized technical work related to town planning. Incumbents are responsible for performing research, preparing reports and studies, and recommending solutions to complex planning problems. This class is equivalent to Senior Planner in the nature of work and the level of responsibility. Work is performed under the general supervision of Town Supervisor with considerable leeway allowed in carrying out work assignments. Supervision of others may be a responsibility of the position. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Performs studies involving research, investigation and analysis of sociological, economic and environmental factors related to town planning:
- Prepares specialized planning projects such as land development, community development, economic development, transpo1tation, housing, water, supplies and others including statistics, data, plans, designs, charts, records and reports;
- Drafts and submits grant applications to state, federal and private agencies associated with the area of planning and community development;
- Collects and analyzes data (including census data) in connection with work assignments;
- Plans and conducts field studies and surveys:
- Represents the planning agency or planning board at conferences of local government officials;
- Reviews and makes recommendations on the more complex local zoning ordinances and subdivision regulations in compliance with statutory requirements;
- Meets with town planning boards, zoning, legislative bodies and other public officials and provides information to the public by phone or in person.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS. ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of the purposes, principles, and terminology employed in town planning, zoning and subdivision principles;
- Good knowledge of current problems and literature in the field and research methods and techniques, federal and state programs related to the planning process;
- Good knowledge of the techniques used ln preparing specialized planning projects such as land development, economic development, transportation, water, supplies and others;
- Working knowledge of federal and state aid or grant programs available to counties and municipalities and of modern office terminology and equipment;
- Ability to understand complex oral and written directions, have initiative and resourcefulness and good judgment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER:
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master’s degree in Planning or a related field and two (2) years of technical work experience in planning or a related field; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field and three (3) years of technical experience in planning or related field.
Send resume to: Town of Guilderland. Department of Human Resources. PO Box 339, Guilderland, NY 12084 or e-mail email@example.com
For more information, see the Attached Document