Are you interested in joining a creative, dynamic, and award-winning team of planning and development professionals?
Do you want to play an important role in helping us make one of America’s greatest small cities even better?
Would you like to work in one of New England’s most eclectic, progressive, and livable communities?
If you said “YES!” then we want to talk to you!
Our Planning Technician is a paraprofessional position on our Development Review Team responsible for helping to administer the City's land use and development regulations. The Planning Technician is our front line for customer service, and devotes most of their time working closely with the public on a broad and diverse range of responsibilities involving the acceptance and processing zoning and subdivision permit applications. This person also steps in to help with routine administrative support functions in support of our clerical staff as needed.
Our ideal candidate will:
- have background and experience with permitting and the development process
- be super organized, quick-on-your-feet, and dedicated to providing outstanding customer service
- be able to break-down and communicate complex regulations into manageable concepts for non-professional applicants
- have excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism, and be able to remain level-headed and positive when confronted by controversial and emotionally charged issues.
- have an eye for detail and be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks at once
- be committed to a process of continuous improvement and willing to share ideas on how to make government more effective
- be an independent problem-solver, intellectually curious, and self-motivated
Always on someone’s “top ten list,” Burlington is nationally recognized as one of America's most livable communities. Noted as the birthplace of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and the band Phish, Burlington is Vermont's largest city with a population of ~42,000. We are nestled on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain between New York's Adirondacks and Vermont's Green Mountains only 2 hours from Montreal and 3.5 hrs from Boston. Burlington is home to the Church Street Marketplace, the University of Vermont and it’s nationally-ranked Medical Center, Champlain College, Burton Snowboards, Citizen Cider and Lake Champlain Chocolates to name only a few.
The City of Burlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a comprehensive array of benefits.
The application deadline is Friday April 6, 2018
Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
For a complete job description and application, contact our Human Resources Dept. at 802/865-7145 or visit our website at www.BurlingtonVT.gov/Jobs