DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position exists in the Department of Community and Economic Development and involves responsibility for the management of strategic planning, grant writing and implementation of programs and projects relating to neighborhood development, housing and urban area revitalization. The work is performed under general direction of the Mayor with wide leeway allowed for exercise of independent judgment in carrying out details of the work. Supervision is exercised over the work of subordinate department employees. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Manages staff and works with representatives of business and non-profit organizations and individuals to stimulate and guide diverse community and housing development activities as well as planning services in the City of Rome, to include the management of the CDBG – Community Development Block Grant and other grant program;
- Determines feasibility and potential value of proposed projects and makes decisions regarding priorities - periodically evaluating their effectiveness, and making adjustments as necessary;
- Determines the extent and scope of community, housing and planning studies, reports and grant applications;
- Prepares and packages projects, programs and funding applications to further the leveraging of human, private and public resources;
- Assigns project responsibilities to subordinate staff members and manages and monitors all contracts with specialized project contractors;
- Represents the city and maintains top-level contact with governmental officials and agencies, and other community leaders regarding community, housing, and urban development needs, objectives and activities;
- Maintains contacts with other city department heads regarding City-wide coordination of projects, funding and budgetary considerations;
- Speaks before community groups and other gatherings to further understanding of community development and housing objectives as well as planning services;
- Participates in professional organizations, meetings and training sessions for extending knowledge of current community, housing and funding development opportunities and challenges;
- Participates in and supervises the preparation of written informational, instructional and promotional materials relating to existing plans and projects;
- Reports to the Mayor and/or local legislative officials on departmental activities and future proposed plans.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of community development, housing and commercial district revitalization;
- Thorough knowledge of preparation of strategic and master plans for community and commercial development.
- Good knowledge of current legislation in the community development field;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- Ability to make professional community and community development decisions:
- Ability to speak before groups of people;
- Ability to prepare complex records and reports;
- Physical condition commensurate with demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor Degree in Business Management, Communications, Public Administration, Urban Planning and/or Community Development and six (6) years of experience in municipal, community or regional development, two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory or administrative position; OR
B. Possession of a Master Degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university in Business Management, Communications, Public Administration, Urban Planning, Government, and five (4) years of experience as outlined in (A) above, three (3) years of which must have been in a supervisory or administrative position or in a related field; OR
C. An equivalent combination of experience and training as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
Apply with cover letter, resume, and three references to: Larry Daniello, Chief of Staff, 198 North Washington Street, Rome, NY 13440 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org