Assistant Division Chief (Experience in Transportation Planning Preferred - Job # 2477-10000-35)
Assistant Division Chief (Economic Development/ Special Projects Coordinator – Job #2477-10000-53)
These positions play a critical role in carrying out the State Planning Council’s duties as Rhode Island’s only federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). These are management positions responsible for supervising, directing and coordinating the work of a staff engaged in strategic or transportation planning functions as they relate to planning services for agencies of the state government. Initial focal areas will include:
• Management of the State’s Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) to ensure that it best reflects Rhode Islanders’ travel needs while enhancing its sustainability and competitiveness within the region.
• Work with the Division Director to manage and facilitate major economic development and transportation investment projects in the state.
• Serve as the Division’s grants coordinator and seek out external funding opportunities related to transportation, resiliency, planning and development
• Management of the State’s first Bicycle Master Plan.
• Drafting the State Planning Council’s Annual Work Program and budget as per the requirements of the Federal Highway and Transit Administrations.
• Modernize the State Guide Plan and make it more relevant to various state and municipal actions and activities.
• Ensuring the State Planning Council’s compliance with the procedures required to maintain its federal designation as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the State.
•To assist the Division Director and the Division Chief in planning, supervising, directing and coordinating the work of a staff engaged in planning services.
•To design and carry out monitoring programs, and evaluate the results achieved by a plan, as well as make recommendations for modifications as required.
•To appear on behalf of the agency before agencies, boards, commissions and the public to describe the agency's role, plans or policies.
•To coordinate staff operations to insure effective assignments and utilization of professional and technical personnel, and to supervise the work of drafting, administrative and clerical personnel engaged in supporting functions.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT:
Education: Such as may have been gained through: possession of a master's degree in planning, public or business administration, political or social science, a design profession, or a degree in law; and
Experience: Such as may have been gained through: considerable employment in a responsible supervisory capacity involving planning or policy development.
Or, any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
SALARY: $42.28 - $47.93 Hourly; $76,944.00 - $87,239.00 Annually